Tuesday, June 15, 2010

intro

Over the last couple of years I have been reflecting on how the significance of life is found in relationship. Relationships are the substance of life. They are the home of meaning, community, intimacy, and belonging. Relationships give us access to incredible resources and strength in community. Great achievements and changes are empty without relationship. It is in great relationships we are supported through our rough times and our achievements are celebrated. It is in great relationship our selfishness is challenged, our rough spots smoothed and healing takes place. Real transformation in people’s lives, communities and even cities does not come from how much someone knows, their designated power, or the amount of resource they have. Knowledge, power and resources aid change to happen. They are not the catalyst or determinants of lasting change.

I have always held a keen sense of justice. My childhood was spent in a household that actively participated in our local community and church. Arrested by the scenes from LiveAid streaming from the TV in the living room my interest in justice and poverty relief grew, supported and encouraged by my parents.

I spent my teens focused on causes and volunteering in the local community. This led to devoting my career to people work. As a youth worker, public servant, sociologist and artist I have been concerned with challenging perceptions, changing unjust social systems and calling systems to consider the unengaged or marginalised.

I used to carry frustration about not doing more great things in my life. I expected GREAT to look dramatic, inspiring, colourful, noisy and big. I had high expectations of achieving significant, world changing, life transforming adventures in my 20s. But I have come to understand Mother Teresa’s comment, “no one can do great things, but you can do small things with great love.”

It was not until I was in Ecuador in 2007 that I realized how much I needed to be freed from empty striving to do and be great. I was visiting Ecuador to look at community development, youth work and mission. Partly for the adventure and partly to discover whether this was somewhere, something I could invest my life in. I went with tourist camouflage, heavy anticipation and only basic Spanish. My qualifications, my job, my reputation and work experience didn’t help me navigate or relate to a country with such poverty, political instability, poor health and social issues.

What floored me most was not the issues and deprivation I encountered. I was overwhelmed and undone by how complete strangers welcomed me, loved me and gave generously out of very little. I saw in them riches I didn’t have. They were rich in faith and love. My life was full of good intentions and hope to see a world changed. I had power, resource and self-determination. My friends in Ecuador may not have had my influence, but they have great love and lives poured out to serve others.

I came to understand that good intentions and a strong will to do good falls empty. Love is so much more than a feeling and commitment amongst friends and loved ones. Love has incredible potential to change circumstances. I love Martin Luther King’s description of the relationship between love and justice.

“Power is love executing the demands of justice. What is needed is a realization that power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic. Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice, and justice at its best is power correcting everything that stands against love”.

Martin Luther King. (1967) Where Do We Go From Here? Address to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (1967-08-16)

While I have experience working with individuals and communities to see transformation. At the end of the day doing good out of good intentions and knowledge is not enough for transformation. This blog has come out of my journey and desire to reflect, meditate, mull over more of the love and goodness of God that is powerful, creative, vibrant, subversive and freeing. My prayer is that my heart and yours is expanded and His great love overflows spontaneously and often from our lips, hands, and in our words.

Faith: Hope: LOVE


No comments:

Post a Comment